August 21, 2008

Macarons from Cake House

Yuzu is Listening To
Spring Awakening
2006 Original Broadway Cast

©2008 Yuzu Eats

A couple of workmates and I went to lunch on Sawtelle Boulevard in West L.A., where there is an abundance of Japanese restaurants and stores carrying cute knickknacks. After spending an hour (or two) browsing the shops, we felt it was time for dessert. So we made our way to Beard Papa. But before crossing the street, I spied some colorful macarons in a bakery window. I rarely get to eat macarons because they're not widely available, and I have to drive far (or fly to New York) to eat some. So I was quite pleased that a Korean bakery named Cake House offered them in their shop. I bought four macarons at $1.50 each — chocolate, lemon, raspberry and green tea — and later enjoyed them with my little niece. Verdict? The chocolate was yummy, as was the green tea (you can really taste the matcha), but the raspberry and lemon ones were rather dry. Perhaps this is because the macarons are not baked on the premises, so who knows how fresh they are when they're sold?


Later that day, I realized there's a Cake House in Buena Park, so much closer to me than the one I visited off of Sawtelle. Apparently, I had been driving past this bakery in Orange County every day, never knowing it existed because it's nestled in a strip mall next to a Ralphs supermarket. One would never expect to find macarons near Ralphs, after all.

The day after I visited the L.A. location, I made a quick trip to the Buena Park Cake House after work and purchased every flavor macaron they had available — coffee, chocolate, raspberry, lemon, green tea and blueberry. I shared them with my mom and dad, who enjoyed them with a cup of hot green tea. The blueberry macaron (which my mom thought would've been taro-flavored) didn't taste much like blueberry. It was more like a plain macaron with blue food coloring. The other flavors tasted the same as they did before. I didn't try the coffee one, as I gave it to my dad, the coffee addict.

I much prefer the Orange County location to the L.A. one because, for one thing, it's much bigger. The shop has tables in the back that you can sit at and hang out with friends. The baked goods, with the exception of the cakes and fancy pastries, are available for customers to just grab and place them in plastic basket trays to bring up to the counter for checkout. I'm glad I got to try the various macarons Cake House has to offer, but they sure don't beat the yumminess that is Bouchon Bakery's macaron.
Cake House
11301 Olympic Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90064
(310) 914 0404
Cake House
5410 Beach Blvd.
Buena Park, CA 90621
(714) 522-0101

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At 8/25/2008 5:26 PM, Blogger Janine said...

Macaron sampling sounds so fun...too bad they weren't as good. I hope to taste Bouchon Bakery's someday. :9

 
At 8/25/2008 5:49 PM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Hey Janine! Macaron sampling is fun, but you can get tired of the taste very fast. I think I'll be fine if I don't eat another macaron for a while.

You gotta try Bouchon's some day. So yummy!

 
At 8/27/2008 10:02 AM, Blogger ila said...

cafe blanc in westside costa mesa has macarons too... and layer cake bakery in irvine, although layer cake's is a tad bit too sweet for my taste.
aye, my dream macaron is pierre hermes... but alas, this is not **pa-ree**.
your website is so cute!

 
At 8/27/2008 10:02 AM, Blogger ila said...

cafe blanc in westside costa mesa has macarons too... and layer cake bakery in irvine, although layer cake's is a tad bit too sweet for my taste.
aye, my dream macaron is pierre hermes... but alas, this is not **pa-ree**.
your website is so cute!

 
At 8/27/2008 10:10 AM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Thanks for the suggestions, ila. I'm in Costa Mesa every now and then (and Irvine as well), so I will have to check those places out. One can never try too many bakeries. ;)

Glad you like the site!

 
At 9/02/2008 2:38 AM, Blogger tigerfish said...

So, was the lemon macrons as dry in both locations?

 
At 9/02/2008 9:12 AM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Yes, there were both dry, Tigerfish. I think the macarons are all baked at the same place and then transported to the various bakery locations.

 
At 9/02/2008 10:44 AM, Blogger mushroommeadows said...

It's in Buena park??? eeeee...I am so going! Thanks for the review! :)

 
At 9/02/2008 7:39 PM, Blogger Yuzu said...

You're welcome, Mushroom! ^__^ I hope you like it there.

 
At 9/13/2008 2:11 PM, Blogger Raymond and Steph said...

We love Macarons! I'm glad to know that they have them available in LA when we move back!!

 
At 9/14/2008 11:38 PM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Well, I'm sure they're nothing compared to the Laduree macarons there in Paris. ;) A lot of bakeries are offering macarons in L.A. and Orange County now, Steph, so there'll be plenty of places for you to try when you come back!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home