January 30, 2008

Bakery Tour at Disney's California Adventure

Yuzu is Listening To
Under the Blacklight
Rilo Kiley
On one of several trips to the Magic Kingdom this month, I took some photos of the Bakery Tour by Boudin® Bakery at Disney's California Adventure theme park. In all the years that I've been going to the Disneyland Resort, I didn't even realize this tour existed.


There's a process that Boudin's been using for over 150 years to make their famous sourdough bread. I wasn't really paying attention to the video that was playing overhead as I walked through the tour because I was busy trying to take indoor pictures from behind the glass while munching on the free sourdough bread samples they gave me when I first entered the tour. Isn't it cute how there are Mickey Mouse-shaped heads throughout the bakery? Disney has to leave their mark on everything, after all.

Click for a closer look

©2008 Yuzu Eats

After the sourdough breads are done, they're brought over to the kitchen where someone slices into the tops to turn them into bread bowls. Then they're ready to fill with a variety of delicious soups served up in the theme park. The next time you find yourself in a Disney theme park, you have to try a soup bread bowl (especially the clam chowder bowls served in New Orleans Square at Disneyland). They're quite yummy, and they're definitely a nice break from typical amusement-park food.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 2/01/2008 1:18 PM, Blogger mushroommeadows said...

yummy! Actually, this is what I had when I went to D-land like 15 years ago! :) I was only a little punk but I had a good sense of taste. :)

Oh, I just made a mini-sourdough soup bowl with one of my sourdough rolls. It was totally inspired by you. hehe. I already ate it, but if I make another one, I'll post pictures in honor of you. :D (I still have the pumpkin bread to make...eek).

 
At 2/01/2008 1:58 PM, Blogger Yuzu said...

The first time I ever tried clam chowder was when I shared a chowder bowl with a friend at Disneyland about 15 years ago. So tasty! To this day, it's still my favorite thing to eat there.

Ooh, yes, take pictures if you make another sourdough soup bowl! I want to see a mini bread bowl. Knowing you, it'd probably look really cute. ^__^

 
At 2/11/2008 6:32 PM, Blogger tigerfish said...

geez...i did not know they have such tours! pick up any tips/secrets? :P

 
At 2/11/2008 8:02 PM, Blogger Yuzu said...

No, not really, Tigerfish. It wasn't anything new in terms of sourdough production, but it was cool to see the process. I wish we got to see how they make the Mickey Mouse-shaped sourdough breads, though! They only made the regular round ones used for the bread bowls.

 
At 3/06/2008 10:00 PM, Blogger mushroommeadows said...

where are you? :( I'm so missing your blogs!

 
At 3/07/2008 10:58 AM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Hi mushroom. I know, I haven't updated in a long time here. :( I haven't even been updating my crafting/drawing journal either. Ay yi yi! I'll be back...promise! :)

 
At 11/11/2008 3:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home