September 20, 2007

Mac 'N' Cheese Soup

Yuzu is Listening To
Undiscovered
James Morrison
see related
I left work after only a few hours today because I was feeling kind'a queasy all morning. I hadn't eaten anything for breakfast because I just wasn't feeling hungry, but I munched on half a muffin while I was at work. As soon as I got home I started making myself some soup. I normally make chicken noodle soup when I feel crappy, but I wanted something else. Something that's been a comfort food since I was a kid — mac 'n' cheese! I made a bit of a grown-up version in the form of a veggie mac 'n' cheese soup.


©2007 Yuzu Eats

If you're interested in a 'soupy' soup, this one isn't it. It's got a creamy texture, so it's kind of a cross between macaroni soup and traditional baked mac 'n' cheese.
Mac 'N' Cheese Soup
1 can (14 oz.) reduced-sodium chicken broth
¾ cup small elbow macaroni
1 cup broccoli florets, chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
¾ cup nonfat milk
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
ground black pepper (optional)

In a medium saucepan on high heat, bring chicken broth to a boil. Add macaroni, stir and let simmer over medium heat for approximately 5 minutes. Add broccoli and carrots and cook another 5 minutes.

Mix flour and milk together in a bowl until it's well combined. Slowly add it to the macaroni mixture, stirring until it's got a relatively thick consistency. Add small amounts of cheese at a time, stirring it around until it's melted, until all the cheese has been added. Season with ground black pepper if desired.

Serves two.

I ate the soup out of my Le Creuset petit casserole

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 10/01/2007 7:27 PM, Blogger Marryth said...

Ooh, that looks really good! I'm going to have to make it! Thanks for the recipe! :)

 
At 10/04/2007 5:51 PM, Blogger Yuzu said...

You're welcome! Enjoy. ^__^

 
At 10/05/2007 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your petit casserole, and of course the mac&cheese in there. :)

 
At 10/05/2007 11:11 PM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Thanks! I sometimes forget I have this tiny casserole dish. It's so small, it gets lost amongst my other dishes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home