March 19, 2007

Shrimp, Tomato & Basil Pasta

I hadn't really cooked in a while. We've been ordering a lot of takeout at home. Quick, yes. But it can really add up. Yesterday my sister and I went to the grocery store so I could buy some fresh ingredients to make a light pasta for the family. I looked through my old Everyday Food magazines because I recall seeing a recipe in one of them that I'd wanted to try. It was for shrimp, tomato and basil pasta. And I loves me some shrimp, tomatoes and basil.


©2007 Yuzu Eats

I do enjoy a good, hearty pasta dish. But I also like to eat light pasta dishes once in a while. This one definitely tastes light, but surprisingly it sates the appetite just fine. Here's the recipe, with a few minor adjustments.
Shrimp, Tomato and Basil Pasta (from Everyday Food by Martha Stewart)
1½ lbs. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, with tails removed
course salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
2 cups water
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 lb. linguine
1 cup lightly packed fresh basil, torn into small pieces

Season shrimp with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 4 tsp. of extra virgin olive oil over high heat. Add shrimp and cook until opaque, turning occassionally (about 2-3 minutes). Transfer to a bowl and set aside.

To make the sauce, add remaining 2 tsp. of extra virgin olive oil and the minced garlic to the same skillet. Cook the garlic over medium heat for about 30 seconds, until they're fragrant. Add canned tomatoes, with the juice. Add 2 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occassionally, until the tomatoes have softened and are saucy. Remove from heat and add cherry tomatoes.

While the sauce is simmering, cook linguine in a large pot of salted water according to package directions. When cooked, drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Add sauce, shrimp and basil. Season with a little salt & pepper and toss. Garnish with additional torn basil leaves, if desired. Top with freshly grated Parmesan if you like. Serve immediately.

Serves 4-6.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 3/19/2007 6:34 PM, Blogger Chubbypanda said...

It looks really light and refreshing. I had something like it the last time I was in Japan, but your's looks so much better. Yummy!

 
At 3/19/2007 6:40 PM, Blogger ace said...

Hello! I recently found your food blog from......probably some other food blog link. XD I have to say that your blog is lovely and the food pictures always look great! I think I am going to try your turtle bread recipe soon. :3 I am thinking of filling the inside with red bean paste.

 
At 3/20/2007 11:29 AM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Thanks, Panda. ^__^ I used sweet cherry tomatoes, and it just made the dish super yummy. And, of course, you can't go wrong with basil — best herb ever.

Welcome to my blog, m. I'm glad you enjoy the pictures. Yes, turtle bread — I want to make more turtle bread, but the sweet kind. I just gotta play with sweet bread recipes because the recipe I used for the other turtle breads is better for savory fillings.

 
At 3/20/2007 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would also enjoy this pasta, light and hearty, for sure. Do you like cream sauce for pasta? I am the tomato-based person when it comes to pasta. Made a few recently too :D

 
At 3/20/2007 11:43 PM, Blogger Yuzu said...

I like cream sauce, tomato sauce, tomato & cream sauce...they're all good to me!

 
At 3/21/2007 11:07 PM, Blogger BuddingCook said...

the tomatoes look some yummy and juicy. i love tomatoes. :)

 
At 4/03/2007 3:44 PM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Same here, Budding Cook. I could pop grape or cherry tomatoes into my mouth like candy. ;D

 
At 4/03/2007 9:33 PM, Blogger mushroommeadows said...

I like to mix tomato sauce with white sauce. :) Yummy.

 
At 4/05/2007 10:02 AM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Mmm...yeah, that's a good mix, Mushroom Meadows. :9

 

Post a Comment

<< Home