December 11, 2006

Share the Melon-Pan Love

Yuzu is Listening To
The Sweet Escape
Gwen Stefani
see related

Everyone's entitled to a cute, silly post every once in a while, right? As long as it involves food! =) I bought a melon pan for myself the other day, and I left it on the kitchen counter. When I returned, look what I found!


©2006 Yuzu Eats

Looks like someone was about to enjoy my melon pan!

If you don't know much about melon pan, here are some cool things to know about it:

"Melon pan" gets its name because it resembles, well, a melon!
Namely the muskmelon, or cantaloupe.


The outer (or top) layer is a cookie dough,
and the inner (or bottom) layer is the actual bread.

Melon pan is most often served with an underbaked cookie-dough layer because baking it any longer will result in an overbaked bread portion. That's why melon pan is so light in color, as opposed to a golden-brown color one would associate with finished baked goods. I've tried many varieties of melon pan. Some were green and completely bread-like (no outer cookie layer), while others were filled with green melon-flavored custard. I haven't decided which one I like the best. I kind'a like the whole cookie/bread combo, so that might be my favorite right now. Nothing beats eating a cookie and bread at the same time!

I couldn't resist. I ended up sharing the melon pan with the turtle
and my niece while watching Miracle on 34th Street on AMC. :)

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 12/11/2006 11:25 PM, Blogger Chubbypanda said...

Awwww...

- Chubbypanda

 
At 12/11/2006 11:34 PM, Blogger Chubbypanda said...

Awwww...

- Chubbypanda

 
At 12/13/2006 11:38 AM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Does that mean it's doubly adorable? ^__~
Heh.

 
At 12/14/2006 6:56 PM, Blogger Chubbypanda said...

Huh? I dunno why it did that.

- Chubbypanda

 
At 2/08/2007 2:45 PM, Blogger Shilpa said...

Hi yuzu, I'm new to your blog, but couldn't resist responding to this post! :) That turtle guy is too darned cuuuuute!!!

Thanks for explaining melon-pan! Had lots of it when I was a kid, but never realised there were two types of dough involved...

 
At 2/08/2007 5:36 PM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Hi Shilpa! Thanks for stopping by. :)

Melon pan is fascinating, isn't it? And yummy too!

 
At 2/09/2007 1:15 AM, Blogger Shilpa said...

Hi Yuzu,

It certainly is! :) Hey, I suppose if the theme of your blog is cuteness (right?), you must know cuteoverload.com? I can't surf it at work 'cos I get all these warm fuzzy feelings and can't function after looking, heh heh!

 
At 2/09/2007 1:32 AM, Blogger Yuzu said...

But of course! I love that site. ^__^ The pictures brighten up my work day, every day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home