January 23, 2007

B.T. McElrath Chocolatier

Yuzu is Watching
The Office - Season One
see related

Do you sometimes take photos of something you ate, with the intention of blogging about it, only to eventually forget to include it on your food blog? Happens to me all the time. I'd forgotten that I took these pictures last July (eeks!).

My brother-in-law brought home a few pieces of fine chocolate from B.T. McElrath chocolatier when he went to San Francisco. I'd never before tried anything made my Mr. Brian McElrath, but I was immediately in awe of his beautiful chocolate designs. Seriously, this chocolate is so pretty, it's almost a crime to destroy it by consumption. Below are the pieces I tried out.

Chile-Limón
milk chocolate truffle with chili and lemon

©2007 Yuzu Eats

Orange Blossom
dark chocolate flower-shaped truffle filled with orange ganache


Cherry Snapper
Michigan cherries surrounded by 34% cacao milk chocolate

I love that turtle! It makes me not want to eat plain, square-shaped chocolates ever again! Okay, not really. All the chocolates were quite delicious, though. The Chile-Limón truffle — you can mostly taste the limón, but the chili kicks in as you're swallowing the chocolate. The Orange Blossom — this was my favorite, with its oh-so-yummy orange ganache filling. I ♥ the combination of chocolate and citrus. The Cherry Snapper — well, I think this one needs a new name because the turtle shape is really the highlight of this piece. Not that the chocolate was bad, but c'mon...it's a turtle, and it's so cute! 'Cherry Turtles' is a better name, methinks.
B.T. McElrath Chocolates at Andronico's
1200 Irving St.
San Francisco, CA 94122
(415) 661-3220

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 1/23/2007 2:28 PM, Blogger tigerfish said...

The turtle choc looks so much like your turtle bread...but yours is rounder, so looks cuter. :D

 
At 1/23/2007 3:14 PM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Isn't it funny that the rounder something is, the cuter it looks? Haha!

I should be on a mission to eat/make as many turtle-shaped foods as I can...without ever eating an actual turtle. ;)

 
At 1/23/2007 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh-oh, I fell so guilty...I have eaten an actual turtle before...
Are you brave enough to see this?

 
At 1/23/2007 11:12 PM, Blogger mushroommeadows said...

Yeah, I have a couple of pictures that I am just too lazy to put on my site. Also, I sometimes devour my subject before I get a chance to take a picture! :) Anyway, those chocolates look really good...and a bit expensive? :)

 
At 1/24/2007 12:50 AM, Blogger BuddingCook said...

quite lovely pictures..and they look scrumptious!

 
At 1/24/2007 12:54 AM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Tigerfish, I've seen photos of turtle soup, but have never seen it in person. I think that's one dish that I will pass on. =]

Haha, I hear ya, Mushroom! Sometimes you're just too hungry and want to start eating before positioning a nice shot with the camera. ;) The chocolates are kind of expensive, I suppose. But they're cheaper than some other chocolates I've tried!

Thanks, Budding Cook. ^__^ Yes, they were definitely tasty! I loves me a good piece of fine chocolate.

 
At 1/29/2007 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found out Andronicos has a few locations in the Bay Area too. Wonder if they carry the same choc. brand...
Anyway, I wish I could bake like you.

 
At 2/02/2007 10:48 AM, Blogger Yuzu said...

You can find B.T. McElrath chocolates at a bunch of other places aside from Andronico's.

Checking out your blog now... :)

 
At 2/02/2007 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will look out for these chocs in other places. Thanks!
BTW, I've tagged you in my new post. If you have some time, check it out :)

 
At 2/04/2007 11:24 PM, Blogger Chubbypanda said...

Lol. Happens all the time. I started carrying around a notebook so I can jot down reminders, but I when I need it, I discover that I've left it in my briefcase, which is inevitably back at the office.

 
At 2/06/2007 5:08 PM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Panda, I leave stuff at the office all the time. So carrying a notebook wouldn't do a thing for me. ;P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home