January 16, 2007

Best Yuzu Sugar Cookies Ever

Yuzu is Watching
The Office - The Complete Collection BBC Edition
(First and Second Series Plus Special)

see related

I've only baked a few desserts so far with yuzus, but this is my favorite thus far. My mom wanted me to bake cookies yesterday, so I searched for a recipe that called for ingredients my parents had in their pantry. ;) I also had a couple yuzus from my yuzu tree that I wanted to use, and I was able to incorporate them into a recipe to make sugar cookies with a nice citrus flavor.



©2007 Yuzu Eats

I'm very happy the way these cookies turned out, because they weren't too sweet, and the yuzu flavor wasn't overpowering the cookie. The cookies are moist & chewy, with crispy edges. My parents liked them a lot, so that spells success to me! Here's the recipe for anyone who wants to try these out. You can substitute lemon for yuzu, as I know how difficult it is to have actual yuzus on hand.
Best Yuzu Sugar Cookies Ever
3½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
¼ cup light-brown sugar, packed
zest of 2 yuzus (approx. 1 tbsp.)
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 tbsp. freshly squeezed yuzu juice

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Sift flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Using a freestanding mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix sugar, brown sugar and zest. Add butter until mixture is light & fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and then the yuzu juice. Slowly add the flour mixture until a soft dough forms. Scoop 1½" balls of dough onto baking sheet. Flatten the balls slightly with the palm of your hand, and sprinkle a bit of granulated sugar on top. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let them sit for about a minute. Then move cookies to cooling rack.

Makes 30 cookies, 3" (7½ cm) in diameter.

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

At 1/16/2007 9:10 PM, Blogger mushroommeadows said...

Yummy! Those look so good. :) Anyway, how is the BBC version of the Office? Is it better?

 
At 1/17/2007 12:16 AM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Thanks! The cookies were quite tasty. :)

I can't really compare the British version of The Office to the U.S. version, because both are funny in their own ways. I haven't seen enough of the U.S. Office to make a good judgment of it. I've laughed at it, that's for sure. But I've laughed pretty hard while watching the U.K. version. :D British comedies are such a riot!

 
At 1/17/2007 4:23 PM, Blogger mushroommeadows said...

Cool, thanks. :) I've been enjoying watching television shows on DVD lately; so I'll be sure to check it out.

 
At 1/17/2007 9:04 PM, Blogger BuddingCook said...

hmm cookies!

 
At 1/17/2007 9:15 PM, Blogger BuddingCook said...

oh i just added you to my blogroll for easier clicking. :) i love looking at your cooking. yum yum.

 
At 1/18/2007 12:47 AM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Thanks, Budding Cook! I appreciate the blog pimpage. ^__~

 
At 1/18/2007 12:58 AM, Blogger Chubbypanda said...

I love all the different ways you find to use yuzu. I've got a very similar recipe for sugar cookies using Meyer lemon. Yummy!

 
At 1/18/2007 10:29 AM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Thank you, Panda. :) I'd like to eventually incorporate yuzus into some savoury dishes. So far I've only experimented with desserts.

I really like this recipe. It's the first time I've baked sugar cookies with brown sugar — the result was nice! How does the Meyer lemon sugar cookie taste? Sounds like it'd be quite delicious. :)

 
At 1/21/2007 12:59 AM, Blogger Chubbypanda said...

Hey Yuzu,

They taste kinda like lemon cheesecake in cookie form. Don't ask me how I managed that without any cream cheese. It was a experiment. But, since I took notes, I've been able to duplicate it again many times.

All your food looks both cute and delicious. The best I can manage is to make mine look fattening. =D

 
At 1/21/2007 6:30 PM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Lemon cheesecake in cookie form? YUM!

Thanks for the compliment on my food, Panda. I love cute things, so it only makes sense that I try to make my food look cute too. ;)

 
At 1/22/2007 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woooo....looks melt in the mouth type..though u said it's chewy.

 
At 1/22/2007 3:18 PM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Heh, yeah, photos can be somewhat deceiving. :D I thought the cookies were going to turn out all crispy or crunchy, because they seemed to have that appearance when I took them out of the oven. Thankfully they were soft 'n' moist.

 
At 1/22/2007 10:44 PM, Blogger Rasa Malaysia said...

Awww, Yuzu, your site is too adorable...and of course, your baking. :)

 
At 1/23/2007 9:52 AM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Thanks so much, Rasa Malaysia! ^__^

 

Post a Comment

<< Home