November 20, 2006

Tartaruga Mozzarella


©2006 Yuzu Eats

I'm really digging turtle bread lately. So I made more! Baking bread is so fun and rewarding. Of course it can be a bit time-consuming (especially when making cool-shaped breads), but it's definitely worth it.

Last week I baked one plain, large turtle bread. This time around, I baked four little Italian turtle breads seasoned with fresh garlic, dried herbs and filled with yummy cheese. These are the same as the mozzarella balls I posted last time, but they're bigger and shaped like turtles.

The dough already smelled yummy while it was resting (all thanks to the garlic).


I ♥ fresh mozzarella cheese!


I think the turtles look their cutest when they're puffing up in the oven. :)


Nice & golden! And still cute.


My bread turtles like resting on fresh herbs.


And, of course, you gotta see the inside — melted, gooey mozzarella.

These turtles are a lot smaller than the turtle bread I baked last week. They ended up being 5½" (14 cm) from head to tail and 2½" (6½ cm) high. So cute! They're really tasty when you tear pieces off and dip them in marinara sauce — yum!

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At 12/07/2006 5:46 PM, Blogger Chubbypanda said...

Nooooo~! Now you eatin' da baby turtlies!

They look so yummy and pathetic. It's drool and heart wrenching.

- Chubbypanda

 
At 12/07/2006 5:52 PM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Yes, I'm in da kitchen...eatin' up all da turtles. ;)

 
At 1/10/2007 9:41 PM, Blogger BuddingCook said...

ah! these are too cute!

 
At 1/11/2007 10:38 PM, Blogger Rasa Malaysia said...

Awww, so adorable...I wouldn't want to eat them...too cute. ;)

 
At 1/11/2007 11:46 PM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Thanks, Budding Cook and Rasa. :) I really love turtles, so it was cool making breads that look like 'em.

 
At 1/12/2007 7:13 PM, Blogger mushroommeadows said...

I love your blogs and your ultra-adorable creations! Wow, you're so talented.

Anyway, I was inspired by your turtle bread. I just recently bought a bag of pre-made, ready-to-bake dough from Trader Joe's for about $1. So I decided to make little turtles from it. Thanks for the great idea! I think I'm going to make them for a party.

 
At 1/12/2007 11:32 PM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Thanks, mushroommeadows! I'm happy that the turtles were inspiring. :)

 
At 2/10/2007 1:21 AM, Blogger Pirikara said...

Cute! Have you every tried stuffed one of those with meat?

 
At 2/12/2007 10:24 AM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Hi Pirikara . No, I haven't tried it with meat yet. I think, if I do, it'll probably be Italian sausage, pepperoni or maybe even shrimp. It can be like a calzone, but shaped like a turtle. ^__^

 

Post a Comment

<< Home