July 17, 2006

Tilapia Bento

Yuzu is Listening To
Love. Angel. Music. Baby.
Gwen Stefani
see related

I cooked dinner for the family last night, and it was pretty yummy. =9 There was a teensy bit left over, and my mom said I should bring it to work. So I packed it into a new bento box I bought recently in Little Tokyo. It's a pretty, red two-tiered plastic box with usagi and sakura on it, and it came with its own matching kinchaku.


©2006 Yuzu Eats


I just love two-tiered bento boxes!


Lemon 'n' basil tilapia filet, steamed rice w/carrot & basil flower garnish


Apricot jam-filled 'ravioli' cookies I baked for last night's dessert


Pandan sponge cake (from the Filipino market)

I've been eating fried tilapia ever since I can remember. It's one of the dishes my parents often cooked when I was a kid, and still cook to this day. Take a couple of whole tilapias and fry them in a pan — heads 'n' all. Crispy and tasty! The tilapia is becoming more popular now, not just in Filipino cuisine. Now I see tilapia filets at standard super markets, and they even serve it at the café at the office sometimes. I baked these tilapia filets instead of frying them. I seasoned them with kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, fresh basil leaves and freshly squeezed lemon juice. And I added some butter to the tops so they'd stay moist in the oven.

The recipe to the ravioli cookies can be found here.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 7/18/2006 12:42 AM, Blogger Ron Oda said...

hey yuzu!

you blog is so kawaii man.... i like it!

had Giordanos a few months ago... thought it was pretty good, but i'm a thin crust loyalist myself... Larchmont and Casa Bianca are pretty good thin crusts..

anyways, your posts are really nice... keep on posting...

 
At 7/18/2006 10:03 AM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Hey rick james, thanks for the comment. Are there really decent New York-style pizzerias here in California? I'm somewhat reluctant to have New York-style pizza in any place other than New York. :)

Glad you enjoy the blog. Don't worry, I'm going to keep on posting lots of food!

 
At 7/19/2006 11:48 AM, Blogger Ron Oda said...

uh.. i guess you can't say its "real NY", but its pretty darn good... try one of these out..

Abbot's Pizza Co ($$)
Pizza, Italian

1407 Abbot Kinney Blvd, Venice 90291
At California Ave

Phone: 310-396-7334

or

Village Pizzeria
131 N Larchmont Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90004 View Map
(323) 465-5566

there's also Me N Eds in Costa Mesa, which isn't NY, but old school Shakey's style which is one of my favorites..

lemme know how ya liked em...

 
At 7/19/2006 11:58 AM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Thanks for the pizza info. I guess nothing's as "real" as eating actual NY pizza in New York. :D But I'll let you know if I try those places.

The old-school Shakey's style place sounds intriguing...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home