March 21, 2006

Zaru Soba

Yuzu is Watching
Titanic
see related

I couldn't think of anything really creative to make for lunch today, so I made a very basic, simple bento. Zaru soba...minus the zaru.


©2006 Yuzu Eats



Zaru soba is a very common Japanese lunch. It's normally served on top of a bamboo draining basket (called a zaru), but I couldn't fit one of those into this little bento box. Haha! The noodles are boiled and then served cold with shreds of dried seaweed and a dipping sauce consisting of shoyu sauce, scallions and wasabi. I didn't include the wasabi and seaweed in this meal. I eat it that way at restaurants, but I didn't pack those ingredients into this particular lunch. I like to eat zaru soba every once in a while. Not too often, though, as the soba is jam-packed with tons of carbohydrates! =O

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 1/11/2007 9:09 PM, Blogger BuddingCook said...

wah! packed with carbs? i was hoping it was healthy! :( it's so fast to make. :D is it worst than rice?

 
At 1/11/2007 11:39 PM, Blogger Yuzu said...

Not positively sure on that one, Budding Cook. =\ You'd think with a buckwheat noodle, there'd be a lot of bad carbs, but I think this dark variety of noodles is actually a lot healthier than other noodles (like egg noodles). I have no idea how it compares to rice...

 
At 8/23/2007 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well just passing by looking for Zaru Soba info and ran into your page.

As a cyclist doing long distance riding I need as many carbs as I can get. I think the last time I had some of these it said something like 100carbs in two bundles.

I can burn as much as 1000cal/hr when riding at hard or on to gear. Carbs is a good thing if you keep yourself very active. One things for sure you can never get enough carbs when you're a rider.

James.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home